Energy sector liaison panel rated 4.5 out of 5 by attendees

Ombudsman Services | Sept 26, 2019

Our latest energy sector liaison panel (SLP) was held on 19 September, receiving positive feedback from attendees.

86% of delegates who completed our feedback survey awarded the event four out of five stars, with the remaining 14% giving it five stars.

SLP Results

The session on backbilling was named the most helpful, while several attendees said they would like more information on smart meters at future SLPs.

Two thirds (66%) of survey respondents said they would like to see more trend analysis and insight into complaint types, numbers and consumer behaviour.

There was also call for more scenario-based, group activities.

Here are some exmaples of feedback:

This SLP was the most productive SLP meeting I have attended.

Attendee | Ombudsman Services SLP Event September 19, 2019

Special thanks to everyone involved in the event for being so welcoming.

Attendee | Ombudsman Services SLP Event September 19, 2019

Get in touch

If you are interested in attending a future energy sector liaison panel, please email OSAccountManagers@Ombudsman-Services.org